The Holy Mary’s Ascension Church and the former Hospital-poorhouse was founded in the year 1762 by Jan Klemens Branicki – a hospital “for seven beggars and six old women”. Since the middle of 19th century, the building of the former hospital was administered by the Charity Society in Białystok. In the year 1900, the erection of Neo-Gothic church was commenced. This church was supposed to be an “extension” of the small Holy Mary’s Ascension Church. Built according to the design of Józef Pius Dziekoński, thanks to immense dedication of the parishioners, and first of all Rev. Wilhelm Szwarc, five years later, on September 17, 1905, the church was consecrated and opened to believers.